Sunday, July 6, 2008

Pleasant Hearsay

I haven't been able to confirm it, but one of our vendors at Real Change told me yesterday that he was listening to a local call-in talk show on the radio when a discussion broke out about "some idiot" who had posted "in a blog" that the government should give homeless people free guns.

Now, in my column this week, I never said the government should give guns specifically to homeless people. I said POOR people who couldn't otherwise afford guns should get free firearms. I do not assume that all homeless people are poor. Some of them are surely rich people taking advantage of the system to shirk rent payments.

But upon questioning of this vendor there remained no doubt that the idiot's blog post in question was in fact my column of July 2. I can't tell you how proud that makes me.

One of the callers said that my comparison of firearms to lawyers was a comparison of apples to oranges, or tomatoes to broccoli, or something of that nature.

Which misses the point, which was that the Supreme Court's decision already in effect declared apples to be oranges, and tomatoes to be broccoli, by establishing that individuals have as much right to firearms as legal counsel in a trial. I didn't write their decision; Scalia wrote it. I was just carrying it to the next logical step.

I live for the moments when I'm called an idiot by the satire-blind.

No comments: