Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The Tricycle

At some point my Father came home with a tricycle for me. I think he was feeling guilty about all the stink about the ball and wanted to give me something that was brand new and free of any painful history. For a while I forgot about the ball as I peddled the tricycle up and down the block on either side of our house.

Again, my Father wouldn't let me take the tricycle past the end of the block because I might lose it. So when I went see to Lani and Lono I had to just describe it to them, just as I had to just describe the ball.

It occurred to me that if my father came with me to see Lani and Lono I could bring the tricycle with me, and they could see it themselves. I also thought that if my Father talked to them, he would like them and maybe have the over to the house, and I could see them more often.

So I begged my Father to come with me to see my friends. To my surprise he agreed. He followed along with me one Saturday as I peddled the trike clear to Stoneman Field to look for Lani and Lono. They weren't there. We ended up at the nearby tennis courts where I often met them. They weren't there either. My Father took this picture of me triking around the tennis courts.


If you click on the image for the full-size picture, you can clearly see the bulge of the cup I was still wearing.

Lani and Lono weren't there because it was the weekend. It had never occurred to me before that they got weekends off just like my Dad did.

No comments: