Saturday, September 15, 2007

I'm The Ninja King of Lapland

I'm late with the Weekly Wes Whine. It's just as well, because this morning I got an email newsletter from my favorite goat, MySpace, telling me, among other things, all about

"MySpaceTV branded channels

As part of MySpaceTV's beta launch, a number of exciting video channels are now on MySpaceTV including your favorite sitcoms condensed to 'minisodes', Lonelygirl15, animation from Animation Show, lifestyle programming from RipeTV, KushTV, LXTV and Young Hollywood and a whole lot more. Go to MySpaceTV.com and check out our featured channels section."

Oh boy! Minisodes! Of my favorite sit-coms! Sit-coms are my third favorite genre of television entertainment, after fake news and comedic talk shows! I could hardly wait! With a trembling index finger, being careful to keep my drool from falling on the keyboard, I clicked my mouse upon the tantalizing link.

What sit-coms? Where? Which are the branded channels? I do a search among channels of branded and I get all the videos that have the word "branded" among their tags. I do a video search of "sit-com" I get, OK good, one fraction of one episode of Red Dwarf, and then Hangin' With Mr. Christ, Jesus's First Party? It's from a video podcast!

This is what you get. Fan rips of individual shows, plus episodes of video podcasts. You can look for a specific sit-com you want to watch but you won't find it posted by the brander. It's posted by the ripper. That means uneven quality and you're a party to copyright violations.

To me, branded channels means official internet distribution of the shows by the people who own them. I get quality and full range of episodes, and in return, I would expect, to have to fast-forward through the commercials, just like I have to do when I tape them off the cable box.

To MySpace, branded means anything that calls itself branded.

This business of "everybody can be what they self-identify as" is getting way out of hand.

No comments: