Sunday, August 3, 2008

Dick Gregory

Video Find of the Day

The first album I ever owned wasn't a music album, it was Dick Gregory's 1961 In Living Black and White, which contained such material as:

* Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I understand there are a good many Southerners in the room tonight. I know the South very well. I spent twenty years there one night. *

* Last time I was down South I walked into this restaurant and this white waitress came up to me and said, "We don't serve colored people here." I said, "That's all right. I don't eat colored people. Bring me a whole fried chicken." *

* Then these three white boys came up to me and said, "Boy, we're givin' you fair warnin'. Anything you do to that chicken, we're gonna do to you." So I put down my knife and fork, I picked up that chicken and I kissed it. Then I said, "Line up, boys!" *

I wanted to post an audio of the album but couldn't find one. Instead I found these recent clips of him doing the State of Black Union 08 in New Orleans (certainly out of order.) They show that he still has it.

Dick Gregory apologizes to the first Black President



Dick Gregory at State of Black Union 08 Pt.1

No comments: