Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Dude Look Like A Lady

Video Find of the Day

This afternoon when I came in to the Real Change office to feed the cat I found one of our vendors complaining to the desk volunteer about a cross-dresser. The complaint escalated, bifurcated, then trifurcated, and I found myself hearing him argue with the head of our vendor staff for the next half hour, who did a fantastic job, I must say, of real time critical analysis. On my way out I returned to the vendor desk volunteer where the argument started and said, "So name another one of those people." She said, "Another one of what people? What are you talking about?"

"You know, rock stars that dress like women." I said our vendor just doesn't get it, the cross-dresser isn't a transsexual, he's a rock star wannabe. You've got Rod Stewart, he wore fake eyelashes, you've got Gene Simmons who wore the fishnet (or did I just dream that?), you've got Alice Cooper. Name another.

Loretta (that's the volunteer's name) said, "How should I know, I went to high school in the Fifties. I never listened to that stuff.

I persisted in asking, and suddenly she said, "Oh no!" Turns out I "made" her erase a name from our database.

I said, "Gee, I guess one of me talking with you for two minutes can rattle you more than ten vendors crowded around demanding papers simultaneously." I was genuinely flattered. Thank you, Loretta!

Anyway, I got home and looked up Glam Rock, and instantly remembered what I was talking about.

David Bowie's "Space Oddity"



Meanwhile, the definitive commentary:

Aerosmith - Dude (looks like a lady)

No comments: